Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sauteed Artichokes and Peppers

I found this recipe in one of my Real Simple Magazines, and although I had no interest in the flank steak, this side dish really caught my attenion. I made this simpler than the original recipe, so the top is the original way to make it...and the 2nd recipe is my simplified version!


Kosher salt and black pepper

2 cups torn bread (1-inch pieces)
1 15-ounce can artichoke hearts, rinsed and halved
1/2 cup sweet red cherry peppers (such as Peppadews), sliced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves

Here is the real recipe:

Directions
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bread and cook, tossing, until golden and crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a second skillet. Add the artichokes and cook, cut-side down, until lightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic, peppers, thyme, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the bread and toss to combine. Serve with the steak.


MY MUCH EASIER VERSION:

Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the artichokes, and peppers (I used orange and yellow bell peppers) and cook about 5 minutes, or until the peppers start to soften to desired texture. Add a handful of croutons (no toasting of bread for me!), garlic, thyme (I used dried), salt and pepper. Toss to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment