Monday, February 7, 2011

BBQ Glazed Meatloaf


Attention meatloaf fans: MAKE THIS! We LOVED this one! This is definitely going on next month's menu...at least once. LOVED IT! See how nice and crispy the bottom and the edges got? Mmmm....and no, I didn't share the ends!


I made this on my freezer cooking day, formed into the meatloaf shape, and then froze it in my silicone loaf pan. When it was frozen, I popped it out and bagged it up. This time, I let it defrost in the fridge for 2 days before making it, next time I'm going to try making it still frozen. It is supposed to cook for 6-8 hours on low, but we are gone for about 9 1/2 hours so this cooked a little longer than it should.
I found this recipe on weightwatchers.com. It was extremely quick and easy to prepare and low in points.


1 1/4 pound(s) uncooked ground turkey breast
1/3 cup(s) dried bread crumbs, seasoned
1/4 cup(s) low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup(s) onion(s), minced

1 large egg(s), lightly beaten
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
2 Tbsp ketchup
2 tsp packed light brown sugar
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Heinz Spicy Brown Mustard, or other brand (I used yellow mustard)

Fold a 24-inch length of foil in half lengthwise. Fit into the bottom and up the sides of a 5–6-quart slow cooker insert. (Forget all that math...just pull off 1 or 2 medium sized pieces, ball them up and place the meatloaf on top!)

Put the turkey, bread crumbs, cheese, onion, egg, oregano, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl; mix with hands until well combined. Shape the mixture into a loaf and place on the foil in the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and cook until the meatloaf juices run clear or an instant read thermometer inserted in the center of the meatloaf registers 165°F, 3–4 hours on high or 6–8 hours on low.

Combine the ketchup, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard in a small bowl. Spoon the mixture over the meatloaf, spreading it smooth. Cover the slow cooker and cook until the glaze is heated through, about 30 minutes longer. (I added the sauce when I put it in the crockpot and let it cook w/the meatloaf all day. Then when I came home, I whipped together a little more and added it on top of that. I just let it cook until everything else was ready. Who has 30 more minutes to wait??).

With the help of the foil, lift the meatloaf from the slow cooker and transfer to a platter. Discard foil and cut the meatloaf into 6 slices. Yields 1 slice meatloaf per serving.

1/6 of the meatloaf = 4 ww+ pts.


No comments:

Post a Comment