Monday, September 13, 2010

Crockpot Sticky Chicken

I should have taken a picture of this still in the crockpot because then it still looked like an intact chicken. When I took it out of the crockpot it completely fell off the bones...ALL of the bones. This was the best shot I could get of it.

I've never cooked a whole chicken in a crockpot before but some of my friends (ahem, Paula!) cooks 4 crockpots full of chickens at one time! This was very easy! And I don't love rotisserie chickens because I think they dry out, but this one was very moist. I will definitely make this one again!!

Thanks to Andi for turning me on to this recipe! http://www.cookingcache.com/crockpotroaststickychicken.shtml?rdid=rc1

4 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper (I used 1/2 tsp and that was plenty spicy for us...and that wasn't even eating any of the skin!)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp white pepper (I omitted)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 large roasting chicken
1 cup chopped onion

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight. (Time saving tip: I first put this in a slow cook liner and then put in the ziplock bag over night. Then in the morning, I just had to stick the liner in the crockpot....no morning mess!)

When ready to cook chicken put the onions into the cavity (I put mine in when I cleaned it), put the bird into the crockpot and do not add any liquid (I added 1/4 c water). As the cooking process goes on it will produce it's own juices. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours and it will be falling off the bone tender.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you like it!

    I have done a super short cut version, too, that turns out just as great....just use Lowery's Season Salt and skip the overnight chill. Works great in case you forget the step before.

    Cheers!
    Andi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great tip when making a whole chicken in the crockpot is to wad up about 3 little balls of tin foil to place on the bottom of the crock pot, then let the chicken sit up on top of them. They make a nice little "stand" for the chicken, so you have less to actually scrub off of the pot ... and it makes me less leary about putting it in there without any liquid at all, as lots of recipes suggest : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise you've got to get/use crockpot liners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, yeah ... I know ... but I'm still leary about ever cooking anything in the crockpot without any liquid at all! Even if I had the liner, I'd still probably feel the need to put the chicken up on a pedestal, just because it seems wrong to lay it right on the hot surface : ) I've got issues!

    ReplyDelete