Friday, September 10, 2010

Tangy BBQ Sandwiches


This recipe came from my Taste of Home Slow Cooker Favorites Cookbook. In the picture in the cookbook, this is served on a hamburger bun, but we toasted our french bread and I think it was a good idea! A hamburger bun would have ended up very soggy with this recipe.

Brian and I both gave this 4+ stars....super easy and yummy!

I made this at my last freezer cooking day so freezer directions are at the very bottom.



3 cups chopped celery (we omitted)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup ketchup
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 cup water
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds), trimmed and cut in half (mine was 2.5 lbs so I didn't cut in half)
14 to 18 hamburger buns, split (Use toasted french bread instead!!)

Directions

In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Add roast. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook 7-8 hours longer or until meat is tender.
Remove roast; cool. Shred meat and return to sauce; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, fill each bun with about 1/2 cup of meat mixture. Yield: 14-18 servings.

Tracy's Freezer Suggestions:

In a large ziplock bag I combine all of the ingredients except the roast and the hamburger buns (obviously!). I squished and shook the bag to combine all of the ingredients. Then I added the roast to the bag and froze. I took it out of the freezer 2 days before serving and let it thaw in the fridge. This morning I dumped the whole thing in the crockpot and cooked on low for 10 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment