Sunday, September 26, 2010

Edamame Succotash


Ironically I found this recipe in Southern Living Magazine while I was working out on the eliptical machine at the gym one day.  It looked easy and a great way to get a lot of different vegetables in one meal; and since I love edamame I couldn't resist trying it. 

I thought this was really yummy!  I ate it with string cheese as my lunch today and am eating it along side the cornflake chicken I made for dinner tonight.  It will probably also be in my lunch a couple of days this week!!  I omitted the mint because I didn't have any on hand.  Also, I was going to omit the butter to make it healthier, but you can totally taste it in the recipe so I would suggest keeping it in!

 2 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium-size orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 medium-size red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 medium-size yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 (16-oz.) package frozen edamame, thawed
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Sauté onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 3 minutes or until tender. Add bell peppers and corn, and cook 5 more minutes or until tender.

2. Stir in chicken broth, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low. Stir in edamame; cook 3 minutes. Stir in butter until melted. Remove from heat, and stir in mint and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment