Saturday, December 11, 2010

Easiest Tamales

The family wasn't a big fan of this, but I sure was!! These were a tad bland, but I still loved them! They were a pain in the butt to make at first but that's only because: 1. My food processor is too small. 2. I had no idea how to wrap these. 3. I didn't have steamer basket for my pot!




Once I figured out the ins and outs of this recipe, it was much easier. For wrapping these, just cut the parchment paper so it's about 12 inches wide. Flatten the masa mixture into a circle or rectangle-ish shape and when you wrap it, just fold the masa over so it seals itself. Then wrap and roll like you would a tortilla. When the parchment is totally wrapped up, fold the bottom up to the top and tie with string. (I'm sure that didn't help but next time I'll take pictures of it...or if I think of it before I eat it for lunch tomorrow, I'll take another picture of it wrapped).


1 cup masa harina (this was in the Mexican food aisle in a bag that looks like a sack of flour)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. water
1/4 cup lard or solid vegetable shortening
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 1/4 cup shredded chicken, (I used a rotisserie chicken)
1/2 cup cheddar or jack cheese grated
4 scallions, minced


1. Add the masa harina, baking powder, salt, water, lard, and stock to the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Scrape the dough into a large mixing bowl, and fold in the chicken, cheese and scallions.

2. Cut 6 squares of plastic wrap about 12 inches wide. Place a heaping 1/3 cup tamale mixture in the center, and pat with a spatula into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Fold the plastic over the long sides of the tamale, and twist the packet closed on one short side, leaving the other end of the packet open to let the tamale expand.

3. Bring an inch of water to a boil in a pot with a tight-fitting lid, arrange the tamales in a steamer basket and lower them into the pot. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Let steam for 25 minutes.

4. Remove the tamales from the pot, and let cool for 8 minutes. Very gently unwrap the plastic and slide or flip them onto a plate, being careful to keep them intact. Top with your favorite salsa, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment