Saturday, December 11, 2010

Slow Cook Meatloaf



Sorry for the bad picture!

This recipe came from my TOH Slow Cooker Favorites cookbook. Brian and Allison LOVED this. Brian even gave this one 5 stars. : ) I however, thought it was just okay. I have to put a slight disclaimer on this though...I'm not a huge meatloaf fan. So try it and judge for yourself. This was SUPER moist and broke into small pieces really easily. You definitely did not need a knife to cut this one (well you did to cut it into appropriate serving sizes. The carrots were good and soft, but the potatoes lacked seasoning! Honestly, next time I would probably just cook w/carrots and serve with a side of mashed potatoes instead.


Ingredients
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
2 slices day-old bread, cubed (I used 3)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I sauteed first)
2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper (I diced mine VERY fine and Brian didn't even notice!)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean) (I used ground turkey)
1/4 cup ketchup (I misread this and used more like 1 1/4 cups...I think it needed it though!)
8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks (I used baby carrots)
8 small red potatoes (I used 5 large red poatoes cut into quarters)

Directions
In a bowl, beat egg and milk. Stir in the bread cubes, onion, green pepper, salt and pepper. Add the beef and mix well. Shape into a round loaf. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Spread ketchup on top of loaf. Arrange carrots around loaf. Peel a strip around the center of each potato; place potatoes over carrots. (I cut my potatoes into quarters...I was not taking the time to peel a strip!)

Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 7-8 hours longer or until no pink remains in the meat and the vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment