Saturday, December 18, 2010

Pop pot roast

I HAD to try this recipe, only because it had pop in it! This was another recipe that was supposed to be cooked in a dutch oven, but I made in the crockpot instead. It was really tender, and WAY easier than dealing with a dutch oven, so if/when we make this again, I'll totally make it in the crockpot.


1 14.5 oz can of stewed tomatoes
1 can pop (I used diet coke)
1 pkg dry spaghetti sauce mix
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery (I omitted)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 lbs. beef chuck roast

Break up tomatoes in a large bowl, in their juices. Stir in pop, spaghetti sauce mix, onion, salt, and garlic salt. In a dutch oven on medium high heat, brown meat in oil for 10 minutes on each side. Drain off all fat. Pour tomato mixture over meat. Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 2 1/2 hrs or until meat is tender. Serve over mashed potatoes.
OR MY CROCKPOT VERSION:
Put chuck roast in crock pot (I did NOT brown it first). Combine all remaining ingredients and pour over the roast. Cover and cook on low for 10+ hours or until tender. (See now isn't that easier?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment