Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chunky Tomato Soup


I came across a link online to download a free ebook from Betty Crocker with soups, stews and chili. There are MANY recipes I hope to eventually make, but most are not super healthy. This one though I knew would be a good addition to my sandwiches at lunch and be filling and get in several servings of vegetables.


I don't LOVE this recipe, but who loves a vegetable soup with nothing else added?? Not me...hence the need to join WW. : ) You will notice by the ingredients listed in red, that I added quite a few more veggies to this to make it more filling.

2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil (I used 1 tbsp)
1 c chopped celery
1 c chopped carrots (I used 1 1/2 c)
1/2 c chopped parsnips
1/2 c shredded cabbage
1 c chopped broccoli
2 cloves minced garlic
2 cans (28 oz ea) plum tomatoes, undrained (I used two 14 oz cans of petite diced tomatoes)
2 c water
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp pepper
28 oz vegetable broth

In a 5-6 quart dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add celery, carrots, parsnips, and broccoli. Cook 5-7 min, stirring frequently, until carrots are crisp-tender.

Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes (breaking up if using plum tomatoes), water, cabbage, basil, pepper and broth. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1 hour stirring occasionally.

My version is 1 ww+ pt per serving or 4 pts for the entire pot!  (That is, if you are not counting in the vegetables...which I DO NOT!)  Otherwise it would be 9 pts for the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment