Monday, July 26, 2010

Cornmeal crusted chicken


I found a recipe in my TOH Dinner on a Dime Cookbook called "Oven-Fried Chicken" which mixes cornmeal and breadcrumbs (along with several other ingredients).  Well it called for tarragon and ground ginger, both of which I did not have on hand.  So I substituted some other spices and recreated this dish to fit our needs/taste/budget. 
This is what it ended up looking like!  Brian gave it 3 1/2 stars because he didn't like the extra crunch of the cornmeal.  I, however LOVE crunch so I loved the cornmeal!!  I gave this 4 stars!  Brian also wishes I had more of one of my spices but we can't figure out which one he liked the best.  : )

1/2 C cornmeal

1/2 c dry bread crumbs
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper (to taste...I don't measure this ever!)

Combine above ingredients and put in a shallow bowl.

In another bowl combine 3 egg whites and 2 tbsp skim milk.

In a third bowl put 1/2 c flour (I used whole wheat).

Coat chicken (I used chicken breast tenders) in flour.  Then dip in egg white mixture.  Finally roll in cornmeal breadcrumb mix. 

Place on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes (or until cooked through), turning once.

No comments:

Post a Comment