Thursday, February 25, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup


Hi! Christine here. I love Mexican food, but I am trying to watch my calories. This is a great recipe because you get to eat a lot of soup without feeling guilty, and well, I am a quantity eater! I am the only one who ate this soup in my family. Bryan was at grad school, Brad won't eat chicken unless it's a nugget from M's, and it was too spicy for little Sean. (It will probably be too spicy for Jaime too. She's got a weak tongue.) I give it 4 out of 5 stars. For some reason, it came out a bit too salty. Completely edible though. So I cut the salt in half in the recipe below.

In your crock pot add:
*a 15 oz. can of corn
*4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
*1 medium onion, chopped
*a 15 oz. can of Mexican style diced tomatoes
*a 15 oz. can of black beans, drained
*6-8 slices of jalepenos (you know, from a jar)
*2-3 cloves of crushed garlic
*6 cups of chicken broth
*2 teaspoons cumin
*2 teaspoons chili powder
*2 teaspoons black pepper
*1 teaspoon salt
*2 tablespoons fresh cilantro

Cook on low for 8 hours. Pull out the chicken, shred with forks, and plop it back in the pot before serving. It shreds easliy. Each serving consists of 2 generous cups of soup, so it will serve 4 people. For those of you keeping track of WW points, eat up! The two cups are only 4 points. Now if you're like me, you will need a little garnish to jazz up your soup. I added fresh tomatoes, fat-free sour cream, some crumbled baked tortilla chips, and just a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese. Oh, and a wedge of lime. If you use all the bells and whistles, your 2 bowls of soup will be worth 7 WW points. Eat this with a large salad, and you have a delish low-cal, healthy meal. I ate 4 hours ago and I don't need a snack right now!

4 comments:

  1. YUM! No one else will eat this at my house either, but it would be great for lunches!!! (Add some avocado too!!) Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I portioned out the remaining soup and froze it. I think I will eat it every Thursday while Bryan is at class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! I'm eating this for lunch this week. Chloe LOVED the chicken!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ate some of my defrosted soup tonight. Dee-licious! Better than the first time around

    ReplyDelete