Sunday, February 28, 2010

Tacoritos...my way

Sorry, that's not the best picture, but we were hungry so I wasn't willing to take lots and lots of photos.  I topped mine w/sour cream and fresh chopped tomatoes.  Next time I'll add olives too. 

Here is the link to the original recipe for Tacoritos from Taste of Home
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Tacoritos.aspx

Although I'm sure the original recipe is absolutely delicious, it is also a whopping 15 points each!  So I had to do some magic and make it a little heathier!  So here's my recipe:

3 tbsp butter (I used I can't believe it's not butter)
1/4 c flour
4 c water
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic salt
3/4 lb ground turkey
1/2 lb bulk pork sausage
1/4 c chopped onion
1 c fat free refried beans
8 flour tortillas (8 in)
2 c reduced fat shredded mexican (or cheddar) cheese
Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced ripe olives, sour cream

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the beef, sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in refried beans; heat through.

In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in chili powder and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.


Spread 1/4 cup sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place 1/8 meat mixture down the center of each tortilla.  Pour 2-3 tbsp sauce mixture over each. Top each with 1/8 cup cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in prepared dish. Pour 2 cups of remaining sauce over the top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Serve with optional toppings if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
 
Brian and I both gave this 4 stars.  Although we also both said that it was good, we preferred my version of enchilada's better.  : )  I liked the different taste of the two types of meat though.  In order to cut down some points, I did not pour all of the remaining sauce over the top of the shells as the original directions stated.  Next time I will pour MORE (but not all) of the sauce because we felt they were a little too dry.  So like I said earlier, the original recipes is 15 points per tortilla w/meat...mine is 8 each!!  I had one with a bowl of Christine's Chicken Tortilla soup...a delicious dinner!

2 comments:

  1. Trace--I can't wait to give these a try! They look awesome to me...may skip the pork sausage though. Was it spicy at all? And did you make Christine's tortilla soup with the jalapenos or without? Too bad we couldn't all make in bulk and share a pan with each other. I have no patience for the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was not spicy at all. That's partly why Brian didn't like them as much as my enchiladas. I will probably make those next week and will post the recipe for them. It's similar.
    I did put 4 jalapeno slices in my soup and it isn't spicy! I actually might put a few more in next time (and by that I mean maybe 2 more)

    ReplyDelete