Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pot Roast (aka the world's easiest meal to prepare)

Please notice that it is 5:30 pm and not only is my dinner made, but we are already done eating and cleaned up the kitchen. That is why I LOVE my crockpot!


Tonight I made Pot Roast...which should also be called "the world's easiest meal to prepare."

I put it all together last night and just put it on the counter and turned it on before I left for work this morning. EASY! Brian gives this recipe 5 stars; Allison gives it a 1 (she ate a few bites of potato); and I give it a 4 (in my opinion, unless it is soft shelled corn tacos from a Mexican restaurant, it probably won't get a 5).


I've had this recipe for a very long time! Sorry that I can't give credit to the original creator because I cut it out of a magazine when I was in college in hopes of preparing it for my future family. Mission accomplished!


It claims to serve 6-8 people...realistically I'd say 4. Either that, or Brian and I are just pigs. It made enough for us both to eat dinner and for Brian to have leftovers for lunch for the next two days.


3-4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
1 envelope brown gravy mix
1/2 c water
(I also made mine w/potatoes, carrots and onion).


Wash the potatoes and cut into quarters, or relatively large bite size pieces. If you cut them too small you will pretty much be eating mashed potatoes with dinner. I cut 3 pretty big potatoes, but put in whatever you want. I also cut up carrots (again don't worry about being too big) and threw those in too, but a handful (or bag!) of baby carrots would be fine and super easy.


Throw the potatoes and carrots into the slow cooker. Quarter an onion and toss it in for extra flavor. Place the chuck roast on top. Now if you are preparing this the night before, stop here! Do the rest in the morning.


In a small bowl combine the salad dressings and gravy mix. Stir in the water. Pour over the meat. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until tender. (I cooked mine for over 9 hours, so don't worry if you'll be gone longer).


That's it! It'll be ready when you get home from work. Brian said when he got home he was going to the mailbox and smelled some one's dinner. He thought it smelled good...and was happily surprised when he walked in and realized that delicious dinner was coming from our house! Aah, I love him more for that!

WW points: I count this as 2 pt per oz (for the meat). When I serve it, I cut off every possible piece of fat, so I'm not worried about that. In my opinion, carrots = 0 (I don't care if WW changed their minds on that a while ago). And the potatoes are usually 2 pts per. Enjoy ~Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment