Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sausage Rolls

No the peppers aren't burnt, I like them that way!
This is a recipe that I actually got out of one of the WW cookbooks some time ago. I like it because it's only 5 ingredients (I use 3!) and I almost always have it all on hand. I've altered the recipe just a little, but only to make it easier!



Here's the original recipe:
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, sliced
4 low fat italian style turkey sausages
8 (12 x 17 in) sheets phyllo dough at room temperature
1/2 tsp butter, melted


Here's what I use:
1/2 small onion diced (sometimes I just used the dried minced onion flakes)
6 turkey store breakfast sausage patties (1/2 package)
6-8 sheets of phyllo dough (depends on if I grab 3 or 4 at a time)


If you really want the exact directions, email me and I'll post them. But it takes too long; I've made some short cuts!!


Tracy's Directions:
Take the phyllo dough out of the freezer the night before you need it and put it in the fridge to thaw.
In a pan, brown the turkey sausage and onion. Break up the breakfast patties into small, crumbled pieces. Drain off the excess fat when done. (I always do this the night before so it's ready to go when I get home!)
Take 3-4 sheets of phyllo dough and cut it in half width-wise. Do this twice, so you have 4 sets of sheets. Put 1/4 of the mixture onto each roll and roll up around the sausage mix. Put on a lightly greased baking sheet...or save yourself the clean up time and put it on some parchment paper! Spray the tops of the roll-ups with buttered (or whatever you have!) cooking spray.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 12 minutes or until golden brown.


The original recipe serves 4 (1 each) and is 5 pts a piece. My recipe serves 2. (Unless you are really light eaters and only want one sausage roll, but if that's the case, you need to start eating more!) So for 2 sausage rolls it should be about 7.5 pts if you use 3 sheets of phyllo dough and 8.5 points if you use 4 sheets. ~Tracy

2 comments:

  1. It sheets of frozen pastry dough. You find it in the frozen food section, usually by the frozen fruit or ready made pies. Since I'm a visual person, the link below is a picture of what you are looking for: http://ninecooks.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/26/phyllo.jpg

    ReplyDelete