Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Mexican Pasta Skillet

I got this recipe in the mail from the Eat Better America Calendar.  Here's the link to the original recipe: http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/Recipes/healthified/healthified-mexican-pasta-skillet.aspx (their photo is also much better than mine!)  The picture above is what the recipe looks like w/out the cheese or my additional toppings...

Doesn't this look better??  Cheese, tomatoes, sour cream and eventually crushed tortilla chips...mmmmm

Brian gave this 4 stars, I gave it 3 1/2 because I could taste too much of the meat and thought it needed quite a bit of crushed up tortilla chips to give it texture.  I "healthified" it even more by cutting down the amount of meat in the recipe.  This made 5 really nice size servings.  (Enough for us to eat dinner and Brian to have left overs for 3 days!)  Below is the recipe that I made:


1/2 lb extra-lean ground beef or turkey

1 jar mild picante sauce
1 cup tomato sauce
2 - 2 1/2 cups water (original recipes called for 1 1/2, I didn't think it was nearly enough!)
2 cups uncooked regular or multigrain elbow macaroni (I used ronzoni, for added fiber!)
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup shredded fat-fat Cheddar cheese (I used FF mozzarella since that was all I had)


1. In a skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain.
2. Stir in picante sauce, tomato sauce and 1 1/2 c water. Heat to boiling. Stir in macaroni and corn. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until macaroni is tender. (As it continued to cook, I added more hot water as needed)
3. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover; let stand 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

The original recipe is 7 points and serves 6.  My recipe (w/out added toppings) is 5.5 points and serves 5.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my LORD, this looks delicious with all of the toppings on it. It gets me excited just looking and thinking about it. Is there any way to have this in the slow cooker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't need to do this in the slow cooker...it's easy!! Brown the meat the night before so it's one less thing you have to do when you get home from work. EASY!!

    ReplyDelete