Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Jaime's Sour Cream Noodle Bake

So I made Jaime's sour cream noodle bake tonight for dinner.  I think we might have liked it more than her and Curt did.  Brian and I both gave this a low 4 stars (better than a 3.5 though!).  I did make a few changes to the original recipe (shocked??) and we both agreed we would totally eat this again, but I think I would change it a little more next time too.  It reminded both of us of the spaghetti pie, but that could be due to the changes I made. 

Here's what I did to it tonight:
I undercooked the noodles since Jaime thought they were too mushy.  We thought they were good, but next time I will probably under cook them even a little more.  I substituted ricotta for the cottage cheese because there was a ZERO percent chance that I'd get Brian to eat cottage cheese.  :)  I also used half of the amount of ground turkey, ricotta and sour cream.  I also added 1/4 c of orange puree (sweet potatoes and carrots) and about 2 tbsp Italian seasoning (both mixed with the tomato sauce).  And since Jaime suggested that it needed some "crunch" on top, the only thing I could think of that was along the lines of the Italian theme, I tried crushed croutons on mine.  It was good, but I don't think it needs that every time, but good for added texture. 


Here's what I'll do next time:
8 oz cooked noodles (undercooked!!)
1/2 lb cooked ground turkey
1/4 tsp garlic salt

pepper to taste
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1/4 c orange puree 
1/2 c light sour cream
1/2 c low fat ricotta
1 c low fat mozzarella
Prepare as directed...but I'll bake this in the oven instead. 

Thanks for sharing this one Jaime.  We'll definitely make this again!  And PS...Chloe LOVED this!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment