Sunday, March 28, 2010

Italian Chicken Roll-ups


I KNOW I found this recipe on the WW website.  I can't find it when I search for it now to give them proper credit.  I did find this on another website though, so thank you Wdbdee at grouprecipes.com for letting me borrow this.

WW Italian Chicken Roll-ups (serves 4, with 4 pts per serving)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Italian seasonings (dried or fresh)
Salt 
Pepper
4 light Mozzarella string cheese sticks
1-2 cups tomato sauce with basil, oregano, and garlic
Cooking spray
1.Place chicken pieces between two sheets of plastic wrap. Pound until 1/4 inch thin.
2.Sprinkle with Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper.
3.Place mozzarella string cheese on each chicken piece. Roll up from short end.
4.Place in baking dish, seam side down.
5.Spray lightly with cooking spray.
6.Sprinkle with additional Italian seasonings.
7.(May refrigerate up to 8 hours at this point or continue with next step.)
8.Pour tomato sauce with herbs over chicken.
9.Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35 minutes until chicken is done and tomato sauce is heated.

Originally Brian was very leary about trying this.  However he ended up liking it more than I did.  I upped the heat at the end and let it cook a little longer, but the string cheese would not melt!  I was able to pull out the string cheese all together as I ate it.  Very disappointing in my opinion.  I gave it 3 stars (basically it was baked chicken w/spaghetti sauce), Brian gave it 4 stars though.  I would consider making this again, but next time would sprinkle mozzarella in the middle instead of using string cheese.  I want my cheese to melt!

6 comments:

  1. These look so good...even Curt who checks our blog regularly commented about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How would I do this in the slow cooker?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. the time it would take you to figure out in the crockpot, you could have it made and eaten from the stove. : ) (ha ha) Same way but cook a couple hours on low????

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I made these tonight...I felt they were out of my league but I did okay. I never pounded chicken before...didn't realize it would be that easy and since there were no measurements for the spices I just kept shaking it on :) My cheese did melt in the time alotted except for one thicker breast that we let go another 10 minutes. Curt gave it a 5 and I give it a 4. Easy and yummy; thanks Tracy. Mine equalled out to 8 points each.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you use string cheese or regular shredded cheese?

    ReplyDelete