Saturday, March 6, 2010

More Veggies Please! (2 recipes included)

So I totally struggle with getting enough vegetables every day; I can eat four fruits in a day but am challenged to get just one vegetable. And now that Josie is eating table food exclusively, I need to make sure to get the vegetables made. So tonight was all about the veggies.


Vegetables Con Queso (from http://www.365daysofcrockpot.blogspot.com/)


Serves 8
2 lbs frozen mixed veggies (corn, beans, peas, carrots)
2 tbsp butter, cubed
1 medium red pepper, diced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 oz cream cheese, cubed (I used a fat free version)
1 cup (4 oz) shredded mild Cheddar cheese
(I used reduced fat because I don't care for the fat free)
Add all ingredients besides cream cheese and cheddar to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Add cheeses; stir to blend. Cover and cook for 15 minutes more or until cheese melts.

I was short on time so I nuked the veggies in the microwave, put them in the slow cooker for an hour still on high and added the cheeses as directed. Curt was 3 1/2 stars, my dad 1 star, and me 2 stars. I think I would have prefered my veggies plain.


Mashed Potatoes Cauliflower

8 cups of cauliflower (fresh or frozen)
2 wedges of Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb, one inch cubes
skim milk for desired consistency

Steam the cauliflowers or in my case by the Steamfresh brand and throw them in the microwave. Then i mixed in the laughing cow pieces and a bit of milk as I tried mixing it.
I did not get a mashed potatoe consistency...they weren't whipped enough.
I really enjoyed these those espescially considering I can't stand raw cauliflower!
I would give them a 4 and my dad a 3. Curt refused to try them. Josie liked them.

No comments:

Post a Comment