Sunday, March 14, 2010

A thumbs up and a thumbs down (sort of) from our family

Tonight we had Jaime's Philly Cheese Steaks and Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese.  I couldn't find flank steak so I used flat steak (I think!) instead.  I made a similar marinate to what Jaime used and let it marinate for about 6 hours, then we grilled our meat.  We both gave our sandwiches 4 stars, but felt that the meat was still a little too tough for our liking.  I've got to work on finding a different cut of meat, or prepare it differently next time.  They were good though!  And as you can tell from the picture I did not use light hot dog buns.  It was delicious on the french bread!  We agreed we will definitely make that again.  (I'll post the marinade below)

Unfortunately neither of us enjoyed the butternut squash mac and cheese, although I liked it more than Brian did, and Chloe loved it!!  (Don't worry Jaime, we're going to try again!)  No one knew it had squash in it.  (Shhh, don't tell Brian) I could only tell because I could see it in the cheese, but that's only because I knew it was there.  Had I not made it, I wouldn't have known.  Sadly Allison wouldn't eat it, and Brian and I both gave this 2 stars....however we are going to make it again with some adjustments.  First, I WAY over cooked the noodles.  That made a HUGE impact on the taste.  I didn't like the taste of the nutmeg, it  took away the authentic mac and cheese taste.  So next time I wil omit it.  Finally, I put some crushed saltine crackers on top to give it some crunch and texture, and they went soft.  That didn't add anything to it, that's for sure.  Next time I will add it to half of the pan (just in case, and so we can compare) and only add it at the very end of the cooking time. 


Here is the marinade I used (found it online, sorry I can't remember where):
1/3 c soy sauce
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp worchester sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 small onion, chopped fine (these pretty much cooked off because they were so small, Brian never knew they were there)

3 comments:

  1. Awwww...bummer, I love that mac and cheese! Josie loved it too. When I read your posts about her on your totsites blog, I think they may be kindred spirits for sure :) What kind of cheese did you use? Shredded or velveeta?

    I agree with the steaks being tough...I think it's because the mean is so lean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used low fat mild cheddar. I think it was a combo between the nutmeg and the over cooked noodles. We'll try again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! I used my crock pot and cooked the meat all day, and it was really tender!

    ReplyDelete