Thursday, March 25, 2010

Skillet Ole

We liked this...but as you can tell from most of my other posts we 1. Eat a lot of mexican-based foods.  2.  Put chips on just about anything.  Well this recipe is no exception and is fullfilled by both conditions listed above. 

I got this recipe from my cookbook The ULTIMATE ground beef cookbook.  It is one of my favorites since we eat a ton of ground turkey in this house.  There's nothing special to this recipe.  I wouldn't serve it if I was having people over for dinner, but like most of my other recipes, it was easy, and I had all of the ingredients on hand.  This recipe called for 1/2 lb ground beef and 1/2 lb ground turkey, but to make it a little lower in points, I just used 3/4 lb ground turkey

Skillet Ole (serves 4)
3/4 lb ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped (I used about 1/2)
1/4 c chopped green peppers (didn't use--my family would pick them all out)
8 oz tomato sauce (I used about 6 oz)
1 c cooked rice (I used brown rice)
1 - 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
3/4 c shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese (obviously I used fat free mozzarella, and only used about 1/2 c)

In order to sneak some things in, I also added:
1/4 c refried beans
1/4 c orange puree

1/4 c picante sauce
fresh chopped tomatoes

crushed tortilla chips

In a large skillet, cook beef/turkey, onion and green pepper over medium heat until no longer pink.  Drain.  Stir in refried beans, orange puree, picante sauce, tomato sauce, rice and chili powder.  Cook for 10 minutes (I only cooked for 5), sprinkle with cheese.  Cover and cook 2 more minutes or until cheese is melted (obviously by the picture I didn't do that!)

Brian gave this a 3.5, I gave it a 4, and the girls were split (Chloe liked it, Allison prefered just the rice...which is why I sneak stuff in to ALL of the foods I make!)

The original recipe is 6 pts per serving.  My recipe is 5 pts w/out the crushed chips on top, also with 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment