Sunday, March 14, 2010

(Chicken Stew) I think I liked this...I might have ruined it!

Tonight I made Chicken Stew for lunch this week.  It was super easy.  I love the way this looks and smells.  I can't decide if I like the taste of the rosemary or not.  Is that a bad sign?  Now I probably should preface this by saying I didn't have 2 of the herbs so I substituted them with things that I had.  I might have ruined it by doing that.  I'm taking this to one of my teaching assistants tomorrow and making her eat it. : )  I'll post her reaction to it later.


Chicken Stew (from Taste of Home cookbook)
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts but into 1 inch cubes (I don't like big pieces of chicken so I shredded mine)
2 cans fat free chicken broth
3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 tsp paprika (totally forgot to add this)
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp rubbed sage (didn't have any so substituted rosemary)
1/2 tsp dried thyme (didn't have any so substituted oregano)
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1/4 c cold water
3 tbsp cornstarch


In a 5 qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients.  Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.  (This was NO where near long enough for the vegetables to cook.  I turned it down to low and cooked for another hour and a half)
I might have forgotten to do this last part.  ha ha  This was not my night.  Mix water and cornstarch until smooth.  Stir in stew.  Cook, covered 30 min more or until vegetables are tender. 


The recipes says serves 10, nope, try 5.  I'll let you know tomorrow or Tuesday what Judy thinks!!
Update: Judy and I both gave this 3 stars.  We don't think the rosemary was a good switch, as it's too over powering.  We both liked the shredded chicken better though.  There's promise to this recipe, but not quite there yet.  I have to try again and see if I can fix it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment