Sunday, March 14, 2010

Chicken and Pasta Soup

sWell ladies, Christine is back. I know it has been a while since my last post, but I will tell you it was worth it! I got a winner here. I found the original recipe on About.com, but of course I changed it a bit to fit what I had in my fridge. You will need:

*3 cans chicken broth (10.5 oz each) I added a 4th can.
*1 cup water
*2 cups chopped, cooked chicken (I put 3 frozen chicken breasts right in my crock pot)
*1 can diced tomatoes with juice (14.5 oz)
*1 cup chopped onion
*1/2 cup dice celery (no celery in my fridge, so none in my soup)
*1/2 teaspoon dried basil (I used a full teaspoon)
*1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
*dash of garlic powder
*1/2 cup ditali pasta (I could not find it at the store, so I used wheels. Plus, I added a full cup.)
*1 cup frozen peas/carrots (I used a whole bag of mixed veggies).

Add chicken, broth, water, tomatoes, onions, celery, basil, parsley, and garlic powder to your Crock Pot. I also added a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. Oh, and some cracked black pepper too. Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours. It was already 1:30 in the afternoon, so I cooked it on high for 4 hours. It was perfect timing. Then, cook the pasta as directed on the package. Add the cooked pasta and frozen veggies to the soup and cook in the Crock Pot for another 30 minutes or so. Bryan gave the soup 4 out of 5 stars. He said it needed a bit more flavor. I liked the soup as is and gave it 5 stars. Brad said 5 stars too, but he didn't really eat it. Sean LOVED it! My version of the soup serves 6 people. Each serving is about 2 cups. So, thats about 7 WW points. You could probably save a point or 2 by using whole wheat pasta, but Bryan does not like it so I didn't use it. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds good. You should definitely try Ronzoni brand pasta for the whole wheat. It is high in fiber like whole wheat but it looks and tastes just like regular white noodles. I LOVE them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love creamy soups...regulars don't do much for me but all those veggies are calling my name. Do you girls have different size crock pots or do you just throw it in whatever size you have? I have no idea what size mine is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have 2 different size crockpots. Not 100% sure on the sizes, but I think one is about 3/5 quarts and one is more like 5 (totally guessing on that!) If you do use it fairly regularly it is a good idea to get a bigger one. I probably use my bigger one more often.

    ReplyDelete