Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Shredded Barbecue Chicken

Hi. Christine again. Do you ever make a recipe that you just can't wait to eat? Well, this morning I put some chicken and onions and barbecue sauce in my Crock Pot. Thought about it all morning and while I ate my baby carrots for a snack. Thought about it at lunch while I ate a lame turkey sandwich and salad. I told myself, "Just eat this boring lunch. You know when you get home there will be some delicious barbecue waiting for you." Thought about it some more on the drive home from Bradley's school. He was begging for M's, I was drooling for what was in my Crock Pot at home. I should have known when I opened my door at 5:15 that something was up. I waited for that awesome smell the envelopes you when you walk through the door. I kept waiting. There was no wonderful smell. And alas, no yummy chicken. There was shredded, barbecue chicken, but it was not the mouth-watering, fabulous meal I imagined at noon. What a bust. Bryan gave it 3 stars and said he will eat the leftovers. I only gave it 2 stars. It tasted burnt and overdone. I'm only sharing this recipe because I hope one of you can make it better. I SO wanted to like this!
*4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
*2 cups barbecue sauce (I used Saz's)
*1/2 of a large, red onion
*salt and pepper

Add ingredients to Crock Pot and cook on low 6-8 hours. Shred chicken. Eat on nice, fluffy buns, or in my case, a Pepperidge Farm Sandwich Thin (they are only 1 point!). So for a 3 ounce serving of this mediocre chicken, you will spend 5 WW points, 6 total if you use one of those sandwich thins. On a regular bun, you're looking at 8 points. I really think the cooking time is too long. Maybe if it cooked only 4-6 hours it would be better.

1 comment:

  1. Man this was a great story...you have missed your calling as a writer. You had me intrigued, excited, and letdown right along with you. Hmmmm....what to do differently? Do you think the less cooking time would work?

    ReplyDelete