Sunday, March 7, 2010

A very yummy lunch...and multiple recipes included

My in-laws came over for a visit today, so I cooked lunch for us all.  Brian says I didn't have to impress them.  I'm not trying to impress them, I'm just like cooking for people!!  So I made Sesame Chicken, rosemary potatoes, and a salad.  I could have tried to make healthier versions of each but I was going to flavor so I went with the original recipes.  Next time I make each of these I'll try lighening them up a bit. 

My father-in-law let me borrow his plate so I could get a picture of it all...then the camera died.  So this is the best (and only) shot I could get. 

Simple Sesame Chicken (original recipe can be found at
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Simple-Sesame-Chicken)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1-2/3 cups Caesar salad croutons, crushed (I used ceaser and seasoned--what we had at home)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
2 teaspoons butter
2 teaspoons canola oil
In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, combine crushed croutons and sesame seeds. Place eggs in a third shallow bowl. Coat chicken with flour mixture, then dip in eggs and coat with crouton mixture.

In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in butter and oil in batches over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Yield: 6 servings.
(6 pts per serving) Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 255 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 1 g fiber
Brian and I both gave these 4 1/2 stars.  Allison gave them a 5!  (Actually she gave them a 2, 3, 4 and 5.  We'll go with the 5).  Next time I will try to omit the butter and just use the oil.  I may try to dip in egg whites only too.  We'll see how they turn out!


Crash Hot Potatoes
(thank you Pioneer Woman for making this recipe a part of my life.  LOVE them!!! 
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/crash-hot-potatoes/)
12 whole New Potatoes (or Other Small Round Potatoes)
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Kosher Salt To Taste
Black Pepper To Taste
Rosemary (or Other Herbs Of Choice) To Taste

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add in as many potatoes as you wish to make and cook them until they are fork-tender.

On a sheet pan, generously drizzle olive oil. Place tender potatoes on the cookie sheet leaving plenty of room between each potato.
With a potato masher, gently press down each potato until it slightly mashes, rotate the potato masher 90 degrees and mash again. Brush the tops of each crushed potato generously with more olive oil.
Sprinkle potatoes with kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and fresh chopped rosemary (or chives or thyme or whatever herb you have available.)
Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
I don't know the points of these, but next time I'll lighten this up and repost the points.  Brian gives this a 4, I definitely give these a 4 1/2!  PS...freeze your left over rosemary for next time.  MMMMM

Really Good Salad (yes that's the real name.  Thanks TOH for another great recipe!  http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/That-Good-Salad)
EVERYTIME I bring this recipe somewhere I get compliments!  Delish!
3/4 cup canola oil

1/4 cup lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 bunches (1 pound each) romaine, torn
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted, optional
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1 cup Caesar salad croutons

In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper; cover and shake well. Chill.
In a large serving bowl, toss the romaine, tomatoes, Swiss cheese, almonds if desired, parmesan cheese and bacon.
Shake dressing; pour over salad and toss. Add croutons and serve immediately. Yield: 14 servings.
As is, this is 5 pts for 1 cup.  WAY too much in my opinion.  But you could easily cut down the points by substituting less or different ingredients!  Brian won't eat this.  I give it 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment