Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Deep Dish Pizza Casserole

Mmmmm....doesn't that look good?  I got this recipe from WW 5 ingredient 15 minute cookbook.  Of course as usual, I changed it just a little.  Can I leave any recipe as is???  I also made the meat mixture over the weekend, so I just had to unroll the dough top it with the meat and pop it into the oven when I got home from work. Dinner was ready in 20 minutes. 

Deep Dish Pizza Casserole
1 lb ground beef or turkey
15 oz can chunky Italian style tomato sauce
10 oz can refrigerated pizza crust dough (ours was 13 oz)
1 c preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (I used 1/2 c fat free and 1/2 c low fat)
17 pieces turkey pepperoni chopped into small pieces (so it incorporates into the whole thing)
1/4 c orange puree (optional)
Any other pizza toppings you like, olives, peppers, etc.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Cook meat in a non-stick skillet until browned and crumbled.  Add tomato sauce, orange puree, and pepperoni.  Cook until heated through.
Coat a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.  Unroll pizza dough and press into bottom and halfway up the sides of baking dish.  Top bottom of pizza crust with meat mixture.  Add cheese.
Bake uncovered at 425 degrees for 12 - 18 minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is melted.  Cook 5 minutes before serving. 

Brian and I both gave this 4 stars.  We cut this into 8 pieces and each piece is 5.5 points.  I personally thinks this is too much meat, but I'm not the best person to listen to regarding that!  Next time I will probably only use 3/4 lb meat, which would also drop the points just a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment