Saturday, March 13, 2010

Another way to make meatloaf



Do you always fight over the end pieces of meat loaf like we do?  There's nothing better than the extra crispy edges!  If so, then this recipe is for you.  Meat Loaf Muffins are basically all edges, so you can stop rushing to the table to get the first piece.  And, you can totally adapt this to your family's personal preferences too! I think I got this recipe off of the ww message boards a couple of years ago...yes I have been a member that long, and no I have not lost the weight.  I'm hoping I'll lose it through osmosis of being a member.

Meat Loaf Muffins (1 lb serves 6, 2 muffins each)
1 lb ground beef, turkey, or chicken (I like chicken best, but it really doesn't make a difference)
1 box stuffing (any kind you want: chicken, turkey, cornbread, etc)
3 egg whites
1/2 c water


Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl.  Just take off your rings and do it with your hands.  But don't over mix it either.
Now here comes the hard part...if making right away, spray 12 muffin tins w/non stick spray. 
If freezing for later don't use the spray.  After you freeze them raw, they will pop out so you can bag them up. However, if you have the silicone muffin tins like I do (and if you don't, you need to get them specifically for this recipe!  Love them!), you don't need to spray the tins.  Nothing sticks to those.
Moving on...with the meat mixture, make 12 evenly sized balls.  Mine are usually a little smaller than a baseball.  Usually I'm out of mixture by the last one and I have to start stealing a little off of each of the others.  The ones in the picture are a little bigger than normal.  I used 3/4 lb of meat for that batch and only made 6 since I didn't want to get another muffin pan dirty.  Lazy!
If you are saving these for another day, go ahead and freeze them.  When I'm ready to make them I let them thaw in the fridge over night.
Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 min.  Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until browned.  Now those times are not exact.  I like my meatloaf BROWN and crispy so I usually let mine go 30 min, and then I cut one open to make sure it's fully cooked.  If so, then I uncover and keep cooking until they are nice and brown (as in the photo!)


Tonight we ate these with hash browns (those are NOT just a breakfast food you know!) but I usually serve it with mashed potatoes.  Brian, Allison and I all give this recipe a 4.  Typically these are 3 pts. per muffin, but you probably want to double check your stuffing to make sure. 

2 comments:

  1. I just picked up the items to make these this week...I have been wanting meatloaf for like a month but don't know how to make it...this I can do! or hopefully! I'm going to try to be like you and make and freeze it for later in the week but we will see :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can vouch for these, they are really good. And, it is an easy way to make meatloaf! I should make these soon!!

    ReplyDelete