Sunday, March 21, 2010

Yep, another Mexican recipe (Enchiladas)

This is a recipe that I created myself.  Don't get excited, I just took taco meat and doctored it up a bit.  I came up with this one day when I was trying to sneak some extra things into the meat, and I figured if I served it as taco's they'd notice.  However, if I roll it up, and cover it in enchilada sauce, I could probably get away with it...and I did. 
I'll post the recipe as I would make it, but it is very versitile.  You don't have picante sauce, use salsa.  Prefer white rice over brown?  No problem. 

Tracy's Enchilada's (makes 12, or freeze 1/2 for two separate meals)
1 lb ground beef/turkey
1/2 small onion, diced
1 packet taco seasoning
1/2 c cooked brown rice (we add a little chili powder to ours)

1/2 c refried beans
1/2 c water
1/3 c picante sauce
1/4 c purple puree (mix of spinach and blueberries) optional

1 c shredded cheese (I've used cheddar, mozzarella, mexi-blend, whatever we have)
12 flour tortilla shells (corn shells break and don't hold up well)

1-2 cans enchilada sauce (we used mild red sauce)

In a skillet cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink.  Break up pieces to crumble.  Add purple puree and taco seasoning and cook according to package directions.  When taco meat is ready add refried beans and a little water.  The water dilutes the refried beans so my family doesn't notice the texture or taste of them as much.  If you like refried beans, you might not need the water (or as much of it).
Add picante sauce, cooked brown rice and `/4 c cheese.  Stir and combine all ingredients.

Place tortilla shells in the microwave for 15-30 seconds to soften. 
Top each tortilla with 1/8 c cheese and meat mixture.  Roll up and place in an 8x8 pan (if making 6) or a 9x13 pan (if making 12).
If you are making these ahead of time, cover with foil and place in the fridge until ready to bake.
When ready to cook, cover with 1-2 cans of enchilada sauce (we prefer about 1 1/2 cans, but a lot of times I'll just use one) and additional cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.  (I often will broil for a minute to speed up this process).

Brian eats these as is, I like to top mine with fresh tomatoes, sour cream and olives. 
We love these and both give it 4 stars.  I think this is too spicy for Allison, so we save some meat and just put in a shell for her.  She's kind of eating the same thing then. 

Points for this would really depend on your ingredients: for us it's 21 points total for the meat, onion, taco seasoning, brown rice, refried beans, purple puree and enchilada sauce.  Divide that by 12 and it's just under 2 points per serving.  I used ff cheese this time and our shells were 3 pts each so our dinner was 6.5 per enchilada.  A lot of times I only eat 1 1/2, which isn't too bad for a dinner.   

No comments:

Post a Comment