Monday, March 8, 2010

Saucy Italian Roast


Tonight I made another roast in the crockpot.  I found the recipe on TOH (http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Saucy-Italian-Roast) and it got 5 stars.  Brian gave it a 4, I gave it a 3.5.  I'd make it again, it was super easy, took no real effort, and I always have the ingredients on hand. 
1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds) (I used boneless chuck roast)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained (we omitted)
1 medium onion, diced (I just cut into quarters)
1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
1/4 to 1/2 cup red wine or beef broth
Hot cooked pasta

Cut the roast in half. (I didn't do this!  I didn't care!)
Combine the salt, garlic powder and pepper; rub over roast. (Also didn't take the time to rub it over the roast.  I just sprinkled on)
Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with mushrooms and onion. Combine the spaghetti sauce and wine or broth; pour over meat and vegetables. (I dumped a little of the sauce into the crockpot, then added the broth to the jar and shook it to mix.  I'm lazy...or don't care!)
Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. (I cooked for 10 hours)
Slice roast; serve over pasta with pan juices. Yield: 10 servings.  (Try 3!)

We figured this is 5 pts for 5 oz.  (Minus the pasta)
Nutrition Facts: 1/3 pound (calculated without pasta) equals 218 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 1 g fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment