Monday, March 22, 2010

Taco Soup

Look at that!  That is one big bowl of soup; three ladel fulls in fact.  And that entire bowl was only 5 points.  No shock here, but it would be even better with sour cream, a little cheese, fresh diced tomatoes, and crushed chips on top.  : )

Taco Soup:
1 lb ground beef (I only used 1/2 lb of ground turkey to lower the points though)
1 medium onion, diced
3 cans beans, undrained (I only used 2 to cut down points, but 3 would be great!)
16 oz corn, undrained
15 oz tomato sauce (I totally forgot to add this!)
15 oz diced tomato
1 1/2 c water
1 package taco seasoning mix (I only used 3/4 since I cut down on the meat)
1 package ranch-style dressing mix (Again, I only used 3/4 since I cut down on the meat)

In a large pot, brown beef with onions.  Drain.  Stir in rest of the ingredients.  Simmer for 15 minutes.  (I let mine simmer for about 30)

With the added toppings that I suggested at the top, I would give this 5 stars.  I got 5 servings out of this pot of soup, each serving had 3 large ladel fulls of soup.  Yum!

4 comments:

  1. I know this recipe! This is your mom's veggie chili but with meat! What was that other thing she used to always make that Kathy and I loved?!?!? I know random but WHAT was it???

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny, because as I was trying to figure out what to make for my lunches this week I almost made a veggie chili, and the ONLY difference in the recipe was to use Morningstar veggie crumblers instead. I'm trying to limit my grocery shopping to the end of the month and I didn't have those on hand, so I went with this one instead. I'm not sure of the recipe you are thinking of though so I'll have to ask my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I thinking of her chicken salad? I just can picture us at Green Lake eating it...I remember the fruit fluff and a sesame salad of some sort...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chicken Salad or Taco Soup...I could see how you would confuse the two. : ) ha ha!

    ReplyDelete