Sunday, April 18, 2010

Breaded Chicken Strips (a little healthier)

I am almost positive I got this recipe out of TOH cooking for 2 magazine.  I put a little bit of the sneaky chef's recipe in this too, since I baked these according to her directions and also added some orange puree. 
1/2 c seasoned bread crumbs
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 c flour
1/4 c 2% milk (I used skim)
2 tbsp beaten egg (I used 1 egg...I was not going to measure this out!)
2 chicken breasts cut into 1 inch strips (I used 3 and had just enough bread crumb mixture for this)
1/8 c orange puree (optional)
1/4 c canola oil (if frying...I omitted since I baked ours)


In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first 5 ingredients. 
Place flour in a shallow bowl.  In another shallow bowl, whisk milk, egg and orange puree.
Coat chicken strips in flour.  Then dip in egg mixture.  Then put in the ziplock bag. 
Seal and shake to coat.
If frying: In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear.  Drain on paper towels.
If baking: Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  Turn each chicken tender over and cook for an additional 10-12 minutes. 


So you're going to need to figure the points out for this yourself because I am not counting many points for the egg, milk or flour.  I figure each chicken tender doesn't have enough to really try to figure out how much each one is coated with, so I'm guesstimating here!  We counted 3 chicken tenders (which is also 1 chicken breast) to be 6 points.  Personally, I think that's being generous since the bread crumb mixture was 6 points TOTAL, the skim milk was not even 1/2 point, and how much egg and flour really got on each piece?!  But whatever, I'd rather be too high than too low. 

We loved this.  Allison and Brian gave it 5 stars (actually Allison gave it a 3, but she asked for more twice and said I was a good cook, so that's a 5 in my book!).  Seriously I LOVE it when Brian gives something a 5 and he doesn't know there is something healthy in it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment