Monday, April 12, 2010

(Bubble Up Casserole) Don't judge this by the picture

This picture does not do this meal justice!  This is one of our family favorites, although Brian didn't like it as much since I altered it a bit to make it a little healthier.  : )

Bubble Up Casserole
1 lb ground beef (I used 1/2 lb ground turkey)
1 small onion chopped
15 oz tomato sauce
1/8 c orange puree (optional)
1/2 tsp dried basil
3 cloves, minced garlic
1 tsp Itailan Seasoning
15 oz refrigerated buttermilk biscuits, quartered (I used 1 1/2 cans to cut down points)
1 1/4 c mozzarella cheese, shredded (I used 1/2 c ff, and 1/4 c low fat mozzarella)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a skillet, brown meat and onion over medium-high heat until browned stirring to crumble. 
Stir in tomato sauce, basil, garlic, orange puree and italian seasoning.  Add quartered biscuits and stir gently until biscuits are covered with sauce.
Spoon mixture into a 9x13 baking dish coated w/cooking spray.  Cook uncovered for 25 min. 
Sprinkle with cheese.  Bake an additional 10 minutes or until biscuits are done.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

As the original recipe, Brian gives this 5 stars, I give it 4 1/2.  With my alterations/changes, we both gave this 4 stars.  I was willing to sacrifice a little of the taste for some points!  1/8 of the pan = 5 pts.  PS. you could easily add more veggies to this by adding some diced tomatoes and/or diced green peppers.  (We've never eaten it that way, but some day I hope to!)

2 comments:

  1. Got this on my menu for the week! Thinking about the biscuits is making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I made this last night and Curt and I both gave it fours...I love the biscuits...eating it for lunch right now. However, next time I am going to use more sauce...I did use a full pound of meat and all of the biscuit dough so I think that absorbed alot of the sauce so a bit more sauce would have been nice espescially for Curt who is a sauceaholic. LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete