Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"Pizza in a crock pot"...not really

A friend of mine gave me this recipe a while ago.  This is the original recipe:
2 c cooked macaroni
1 lb browned hamburger
15 oz pizza sauce
15 oz tomato sauce
1 sm package pepperoni slices
1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
parmesan cheese

Mix all ingredients in a crock pot except cheeses and place these on top.  Turn on hight for 1 1/2 hours.

That recipe wasn't going to work with my work schedule, so I decided to make it the same way (mostly the same way) and to bake it instead.  So here's my recipe:
2 c cooked macaroni


3/4 lb browned ground turkey
15 oz pizza sauce
15 oz tomato sauce (I only used 3/4 can)
2 servings of turkey pepperoni
1/4 c ff mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 c low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 tbsp italian seasoning

Pour into an 8x8 pan.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 35-40 min or until heated through.  (I kept mine covered w/foil for about half of that time). 

Allison and Chloe didn't eat this since they were eating the left over skillet tacos from the night before.  For 1/4 of the pan ours was 7.5 pts.  That was a nice size bowl full.  Brian gave this his typical 4 stars (apparently I'm mostly a 4 stars cook!) and I gave this 3.5.  I did enjoy it, and liked that the pepperoni gave it a slightly spicy touch, however this is not something I would make on a super regular basis (which is why it didn't get a 4).  And this would be WAY better if you put more mozzarella on top and let it get brown and bubbly!  I didn't want those added points though.
 

4 comments:

  1. So I made this tonight in the slow cooker...and unfortunately...Curt gave it two stars and I gave it three stars. Part of it was that it wasn't warm enough...new slow cooker? Not sure. And I used 1.2 pounds of turkey meat (too much meat) so then I put in three cups of noodles but that soaked the sauce up way too much so I added a can of tomato soup because that's all I really had. So that may have thrown it all off but it's not one that we'll be redoing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like it in the crockpot either. I thought it made the noodles too mushy. That's why I ended up baking mine. I haven't found a noodle recipe for the crockpot that I love yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last night and we LOVED it. I did it in the crock pot, but only left it in for about 45 minutes....I think an hour and a half would have been too long, especially since everything is pre-cooked. 4 stars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip on the time adjustment! I'll make a note of that for the next time I make it!

    ReplyDelete