Monday, April 26, 2010

Similar yet different (Skillet Tacos)


Sorry I haven't posted in a while.  I didn't cook as much last week as I was trying to limit my grocery shopping, so we ate a lot of frozen left over dinners from the previous couple of weeks.  Now that my freezer is bare and I can start cooking again, here come some more meals.

Tonight's dinner looks familiar to some of the other recipes I've posted...it is a different recipe though.  Unfortunately I only took a picture of Brian's dinner, but mine looked SO much better with added toppings.  What can I say, I was hungry and didn't want to wait to take another picture. : )

This recipe came from TOH Cooking for 2 recipe, although now that we're a family of 4 I had to at least double the recipe. (This is the doubled recipe below)
1/2 lb - 3/4 lb ground turkey (I used 3/4 lb)
1/4 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped (I omitted)
16 oz tomato sauce
1 c uncooked elbow macaroni (I used Ronzoni brand)
1 c water
1/2 c picante sauce (I used 3/4 c)
fat free cheddar cheese (I used 1/8 c per bowl)
2 servings baked tortilla chips (14 chips, crushed per bowl)
Optional toppings: chopped avocado, lettuce, fat free sour cream, diced tomatoes
In a non stick skillet, cook the turkey, onion, and green pepper over medium heat until no longer pink.  Stir in the tomato sauce, macaroni, water and picante sauce.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-15 min or until macaroni is tender.  Divide between 2 plates, top with cheese, tortilla chips and avocado.  Serve w/lettuce and sour cream if desired.
Brian, Chloe and I all gave this 4 stars.  I asked Allison how many stars she though and she said 10.  I guess she really liked it! Points would definitely depend on your toppings, but for a very large bowl (almost 2 cups of macaroni mixture) plus tomatoes, 14 crushed tortilla chips, 1/8 c ff cheese and 1 tbsp light sour cream, my dinner was 10 pts.

No comments:

Post a Comment