Sunday, April 11, 2010

Minestrone Stew

Here's another easy crockpot recipe.  Lately I've been taking soups for lunch since they fill me up more.  I wasn't sure I was going to like this one, but I really did.  I got this one out of my TOH Slow Cooker Favorites cookbook.

1 lb ground beef (I used 1/2 lb grnd turkey)
1 sm onion chopped
1 can ready-to-serve minestrone soup (I used progresso, high fiber I think)
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can stewed tomatoes (I used petite diced)
1 can whole kernel corn (I used 1 c frozen)
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilis
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
I also added 1/2 c water to give it more liquid

In a skillet cook the ground beef and onion.  Transfer to slow cooker and add remaining ingredients.  Mix well.  Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours or until heated through.  (This was heated through for me in about 3 hours.  I think 6 would be too long!)

No one else in my family will eat this...although I'll probably give it to Chloe tomorrow since she doesn't know better yet!  : )  I enjoyed it and gave this 4 stars, and would definitely make this again.  With my alterations (ie...less meat) this was 4 points for 4 servings, and each serving was two HEAPING big ladel-fuls.  I'm eating this for lunch tomorrow w/ham on a sandwhich thin for a filling, low point lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment