Monday, April 12, 2010

Green Beans and Potatoes in Chunky Tomato Sauce by Christine


Whew! It has been a long time, but here I am. I have a delicious and healthy side dish for you all. This was great with Easter ham, but I also ate it tonight with chicken, and I imagine it to be just as tasty with anything from the grill. I found the recipe on myrecipes.com, but it is originally from Cooking Light.

Ingredients:
*1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
*1 clove of garlic, minced
*1 1/2 cups diced red potato
*1/2 cup chopped celery
*1/2 teaspoon salt
*1 1/4 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
*1/4 cup water
*1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
*3/4 pounds plum tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped (I was lazy and left the peels on)
*1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
*1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (didn't have so didn't use)

Heat olive oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add garlic and stir constantly for about 30 seconds. Add potatoes, celery, green beans and salt. Saute for about 1 mnute. Add the water and cover. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until beans are crisp tender. Add cilantro and tomatoes. Reduce heat and cover, cooking for about 4 more minutes, or until tomatoes begin to soften. Stir occasionally. Add ground pepper.

I LOVED this veggie dish. 5 stars from me. Bryan gave it 4 stars. Sean ate the beans and potatoes so I say he gave it 4 stars too. Brad, well, he's 4 years old so he wouldn't eat it. Very good reheated too. AND, for those of you counting WW Points, 3/4 cup is only 1 point and its quite filling. Plus, you get your oil!

No comments:

Post a Comment